Monday, February 28, 2011

Bountiful Baskets

photo from standard.net

Did you know there is a food co-op here in Provo? You can sign up to be a part of it at the website for Bountiful Baskets.

Here's how it works: you pre-pay $16.50 online ($15 + $1.50 handling fee) for a basket full of various fruits and vegetables then go pick it up at the designated location on Saturday morning (usually Provo Towne Center or Provo Towne Square). The first time you order there is an additional $3 fee to pay for the basket they use to prepare your order.

When you go to pick it up you bring a laundry basket for them to transfer your order into. It's a surprise every week - you find out what they are distributing when you show up - so if your family is picky about their fruits and vegetables, this may not be a good deal for you.

You can add things to your order such as 9-grain bread (5 loaves/$10), specialty packs of asian vegetables ($7.50) or cases of selected fruits and vegetables for the week (36 lbs. tangelos/$15.50).

I have done this once and my basket came with the following:

1 bunch of broccoli
1 head of lettuce
1 large bunch of spinach
2 lbs. carrots
6 sweet orange peppers
1/2 lb. mushrooms
2 cucumbers
4 lemons
1 bunch bananas
6 HUGE tangerines (these were SOOOO good!)
6 large apples
1 cantaloupe
1 lb. strawberries

I'm signed up again for this Saturday. I'll try to remember to take a picture of my basket.

Sign-ups are open from Monday at noon until Tuesday at noon but they go quickly. If I don't remember to sign up before Monday evening there are usually no baskets left.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard about this from nurses at work and they've all been very pleased with it. I'll have to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this once. I got 2 baskets (one for me, one for my sister). The line was long, but there was so much good stuff in it. It was worth it.

    ReplyDelete